Sunday, 10 January 2016

Tree Following January 2016 - Sorbus Autumn Spire

We've come full circle following my rowan tree, Sorbus Autumn Spire.  I took part in this meme for the first time in 2015.  I chose to follow a recently planted specimen.  My intentions had been to watch it settle in, hopefully thrive and learn  about it's habit.

Looking almost identical to how it looked in my first post at this time last year, the only difference being the 6 to 8 inches of height it has put on in it's first year in my garden.



It hadn't dawned on me at the outset that choosing a deciduous tree would mean that there would be little to observe in winter.  There is only so much one can say about bare stems.    

In January, I adorned my wee tree with a small coconut bird feeder.  It is still there and is regularly used by the small birds that visit my garden.  It was just light enough not to cause damage to the young stems.      


Along came February and some snowdrops and aconites moved in.  I am hoping they spread and make a nice spring display in future years.
  



Sap rose and those tight red buds fattened through March. The birds continued to make use of the feeder.  This solitary green finch was a regular last year.  


Come April there was signs of life.  Those red buds began slowly revealing fresh new foliage.


The trunk and stems remained a shade of bronze throughout winter but by the end of April they took on a more olive green appearance.  Those white bumps add interest.  I have since found out that these markings are called lenticels. They are the tree's pores.  Every day is a school day! 


It continued to flourish throughout May, inflorescence appear although not in abundance.  It is only a young tree after all.   


Those buds begin to open in June.  


The perennials in this border are now filling out as July comes around.  


Berries (Pomes) are now ripening too.

  
The border fills out completely in summer.




As summer runs it's course, berries ripen.


Autumn begins to creep in.


The gradual changes through October


You can see now why this gorgeous wee tree was given the name Autumn Spire.  It does not lack autumn colour that's for sure.


Leaves and Berries soon disappeared through November and along came the December rains.

December rains
Moving on to 2016 and I haven't quite made up my mind just which tree I want to follow.  I want to encourage myself to get out and about a bit more but also want too choose wisely.  I want to choose a tree that is easily accessible - not too far away just in case I am pushed for time.  Decisions, decisions, decisions!  The weather is not conducive to me getting off my butt and getting out there.  I've a few weeks left to make up my mind. When my choice is made I, like many others, will be linking up with The Squirrelbasket on the 7th of each month.  

34 comments:

  1. I don't think that I am disciplined enough to follow these monthly memes The tree will look spectacular when it matures won't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following monthly memes can take a bit of discipline Sue but at the same time can be useful depending on the topic.
      I agree it should be a lovely when it matures.

      Delete
  2. Like you I chose to follow a young deciduous tree and for various reasons I ran out of steam in October I'm ashamed to say. I've enjoyed reading the end of year report on your tree Angie. It has most striking autumnal foliage and berries. I imagine that you are most content with your planting. I wonder what tree you will follow next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree re running out of steam and I hope I've learned that lesson and make a more interesting choice this year.

      Delete
  3. Your tree has done really well for its first year. You will be delighted what it does next year when it is even better established

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so Roger. I'd love to source similar shaped tree that provides some yellow autumn colour - I've the perfect spot for it.

      Delete
  4. I think this is a wonderful Sorbus, but I know I said this before. Our neighbours have the same one just over our fence, I like it. And as Roger said already after another year it will be more and more beautiful. A very good choice Angie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning it before Janneke - I am now on the look out for a similarly narrow tree for a very narrow spot at the side of the house so watch this space.

      Delete
  5. Hi Angie, I thoroughly enjoyed this post about your Sorbus Autumn Spire tree! It was nice to see the development of this tree over a year summarized in one post and this way be able to compare its changes from one month to the other easily.
    I have to say it is a quite interesting tree and I think you made a terrific choice for your garden. The autumn color is truly spectacular and I love the white blooms in June.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina - a good one for the birds.

      Delete
  6. It was good to see a year in the life of your tree in one go, you can appreciate the difference each month.What a wonderful colour it turns in the autumn, it certainly deserves a place in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does have wonderful autumn colour - a tree I'd recommend for anyone with a small garden.

      Delete
  7. It's a lovely tree, Angie, and, even though deciduous, it had an eventful year (certainly by comparison to most of my trees!). In several years time, when it's matured, I'm sure you'll be glad to have a baby album on hand to refer back to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having baby albums for plants is just another up side to blogging Kris :)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed this overview. It was fun to see the border grow and change as the months ticked by too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria - it's easy to forget just how things look in the middle of summer when it's so bare and colour out there at the moment.

      Delete
  9. That tree really is worth it's autumn colour. It will only look more wonderful as years grow by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Sorbus Angie, the ideal tree for the smaller garden or any garden for that matter, your pictures do it justice in its first year with you. I could have been looking out at my garden when I saw your "December rains".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wet, wet, wet December Rick. I don't think we'll forget this one for a while. A bit like our very wet summer 2012 - I lost so many plants that summer!

      Delete
  11. It is well named with the wonderful Autumn colour and the border looks wonderful as the year developers Angie.
    I do like the saying every day is a school day, I must remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very aptly named Brian. Every day's a school day is a popular saying, well for me it is ;)

      Delete
  12. That's a lovely tree, especially the berries and autumn colour.
    You are lucky that you can measure its growth against the height of the fence!
    I do hope you find a tree for 2016 - but no rush, you can start whenever you like.
    Do you have a good field or park nearby?
    All the best - and thanks for your support :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a wide selection to choose from locally so that shouldn't be a problem. It will just be a matter of picking the right one Pat. I look forward to joining in.

      Delete
  13. A beautiful tree--and I like the way you show it in the different seasons. Beautiful foliage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth - yes the foliage is beautiful.

      Delete
  14. What a pretty little tree it is and what a great idea to show us pictures of it developing as the year went round. A lovely post Angie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloris - it's been a pleasure sharing. In fact, I was contacted recently by someone who had been considering buying this tree and my posts made up their mind to add it to their garden.

      Delete
  15. I love that feeder - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It may be just bare branches during the depths of winter, but it certainly is spectacular through other seasons! What a wonderful choice for a garden...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent overview, Angie. I learned a lot from your little tree and I love it. P. x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.